Special Monitoring Unit
Punjab Chief Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s Special Monitoring Unit (SMU) is an entity of the Government of Punjab and an integral part of the Chief Minister’s Office. It has direct accountability to the CM and the citizens of the province of Punjab.
Currently, SMU is working towards bringing much needed reforms in the Health, Education, Water & Sanitation and Law & Order sectors of the government.
Since its inception in August 2014, SMU has already introduced ground breaking reforms in Law & Order sector that are currently in implementation stage. These include but are not limited to:
- Violence Against Women Centres (VAWC) - converging all justice delivery services at one point; which include First Aid, FIR lodging, Prosecutor, Medical Examination, Forensics as well as post trauma rehabilitation
- Model Graveyards – Grieving families will be facilitated through provision of burial services which include a toll-free helpline, hearse service, shuttle service, mortuary, bathing arrangement and funeral prayer section
- Transforming Current Policing Model – SMU is working in collaboration with CCPO Lahore Office to change ‘Thana’ Culture through establishment of Law Enforcement Centres, U-report website and revamp of police 15 helpline.
- Dealer Vehicle Registration System (D.V.R.S) -- Citizen Convenience by vehicle registration and license plate issuance at dealerships.
- Token Tax Identification Stickers – to eliminate inconvenient checkpoint stops
- Specialty plates – Customized license plates in different colours and with options for different images (relating to Culture, Disability, Personalities, Punjab Landmarks and in support of causes such as Breast Cancer, Terror Victims etc.)
- Introduction of camera integrated traffic fines with zero discrimination towards violators. Vehicle owners are traced by the registration plate data and warnings are sent to the owner’s house.
- Traffic Reforms including engineering, education and enforcement.